Jerun natural gas field offshore Malaysia achieves first production, PETRONAS reports

July 10, 2024

(WO) – PETRONAS announced that the Jerun field in Block SK 408, located approximately 160 km offshore Malaysia, has recently achieved its first natural gas production.

The Jerun natural gas field was first discovered in 2015 by SapuraOMV, following the drilling of nine exploration wells from 2014 to 2015. Capable of producing up to 550 MMcfgd, this project is poised to address the increasing global energy demand at a time when executives are betting on natural gas.

PETRONAS Senior Vice President of Malaysia Petroleum Management (MPM), Datuk Ir. Bacho Pilong, said, "Congratulations to SapuraOMV and their partners for achieving this milestone. Adding to the country’s energy portfolio, this project promises significant contributions towards sustaining Malaysia’s long term gas supply. The unwavering support and cooperation from the Sarawak Government and local authorities have been instrumental in the success of this project."

The operator of this block, Sapura OMV Upstream (Sarawak) Inc. (SapuraOMV) holds 40% participating interest, while the remaining 60% is equally shared by PETRONAS Carigali Sdn Bhd (PCSB) and Sarawak Shell Berhad (SSB)


Connect with World Oil
Connect with World Oil, the upstream industry's most trusted source of forecast data, industry trends, and insights into operational and technological advances.