Shell to develop Rosmari-Marjoram gas project offshore Sarawak, Malaysia
Sarawak Shell Berhad (SSB), a subsidiary of Shell plc, together with PETRONAS Carigali Sdn Bhd, has taken a final investment decision to develop the Rosmari-Marjoram gas project. Gas production is expected to start in 2026.
SSB is the operator and holds 80% interest in the project. PETRONAS holds the remaining 20%.
Rosmari-Marjoram fields are situated 220 kilometers (km) off the coast of Bintulu, Sarawak, Malaysia, and will be powered by renewable energy, using solar power for the offshore platform.
“Rosmari-Marjoram will help to deliver a secure and reliable supply of energy, responsibly and efficiently,” said Shell Upstream Director Zoe Yujnovich. “This demonstrates our Powering Progress strategy - powering lives, generating value, and reducing emissions by using renewable energy to power Rosmari-Marjoram.”
Ivan Tan, Country Chair and Senior Vice President Upstream Malaysia said, “The support and partnership from PETRONAS and the Government of Sarawak are critical to achieving this milestone with Rosmari-Marjoram. Shell has a long and proud history in Sarawak, and we look forward to contribute further to Sarawak and Malaysia’s economic growth through investments in competitive and resilient projects.”
The Rosmari-Marjoram development is one of the strategic projects to ensure a sustained gas supply to the PETRONAS LNG Complex. The project comprises a remotely operated offshore platform and onshore gas plant, with infrastructure that includes one of the longest sour wet gas offshore pipelines in the world stretching more than 200 km. Rosmari-Marjoram project is designed to produce 800 million standard cubic feet of gas per day (MMscf/d).