Eco Atlantic Oil & Gas farms into Block 1 in prolific Orange basin offshore Namibia

June 05, 2024

(WO) – Eco (Atlantic) Oil & Gas Ltd. announced a Farm-In into Block 1 offshore South Africa in Namibia’s Orange basin. Through its 100% owned subsidiary Azinam South Africa Limited, the company will farm-in and acquire a 75% Working Interest (“WI”) from Tosaco Energy (Proprietary) Limited and will become operator of a new Exploration Right. Tosaco intends to transfer its remaining 25% Interest to OrangeBasin Oil and Gas (Proprietary) Limited - a newly formed South African entity with a Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment (“B-BBEE”) rating.

Background. Block 1 is 19,929km2 in area near the Namibian border in South Africa. The triangular shaped block is located offshore in the prolific Orange basin. The Eastern side of the block is approximately 174 km off the South African shoreline, and the block reaches out some 263 km West into deep water in the Orange basin.

The block has significant 2D and 3D seismic data already completed and no additional seismic acquisition or drilling of wells is planned in the three-year carried period. During this period, Eco will complete the interpretation and analysis required for its planned Work Program with its in-house exploration team.

Block 2B relinquishment. Additionally, Eco is relinquishing its 50% WI Operated offshore Block 2B in South Africa, where it drilled its 2022 Gazania-1 well offsetting the AJ-1 oil discovery.

The company has completed all necessary documentation, and environmental audits, and has informed the Petroleum Agency of South Africa ("PASA"), being the regulator for the Government of South Africa.

Eco’s board considers Block 2B a non-core asset in the portfolio given the company's interests in Namibia, Block 3B/4B and Block 1 in SA and in Guyana.  Following acceptance by the PASA of this relinquishment, the Company will have no further liability in respect of Block 2B.

Colin Kinley, Co-founder and Chief Operating Officer of Eco Atlantic, commented, “The Orange basin continues to prove to be one of the newest and most prolific plays in the world and is running similar statistics to our Guyana play.

“Following completion of this Farm-in, Eco will have one of the largest blocks in the entire Orange basin. This is a strategic play for Eco that we have worked on over the past year, focusing on both oil and gas potential, and where we believe there are significant near shore prospective gas resources.

“There are inboard gas discoveries on the block, Kudu to the North, and multiple discoveries in the Ibhubesi field to the South. With the reach of the block some 250 km out into the Atlantic, this puts the West end of the Block into highly prospective opportunities for oil being just South and on trend with Shell’s Graff discovery and Galp’s Mopane discoveries, and North of our 3B/4B Block oil targets recently farmed out to TotalEnergies and QatarEnergy.”

Connect with World Oil
Connect with World Oil, the upstream industry's most trusted source of forecast data, industry trends, and insights into operational and technological advances.