Solving a major drilling challenge for a Latin America operator
The industry is well aware of the need for abundant, accurate and timely information and the intelligent drillstring is the conceptual extension to the operator’s surface network. The information transfer rate of such a drillstring at 57,000 bits per second (bps) well exceeds the 30 bps possible through a mud column. This drillstring system permits real-time evaluation of reservoir quality, assuring that the well path tracks in the reservoir’s sweet spot. Additionally, intelligent drillstrings can be used in wells drilled with foam or air. DRILLING WITH FOAM AND LOSSES A recent experience in Latin America illustrates the value of this technology. A state-owned oil company, Pemex, recently finished drilling a difficult well using an interface between LWD, MWD, and Rotary Steerable System (RSS) tools from Sperry Drilling Services and a telemetry drill pipe system from partner IntelliServ Inc.
Please Log IN view this article.
Not yet a subscriber? For just $149/year, you can claim unlimited access to World Oil's content.*
Each subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to all content on WorldOil.com
- Exclusive drilling forecast data, by state, country and region
- State-by-state results from the survey of U.S. operators
- Updated producing oil and gas well figures, by state
- Exclusive access to World Oil's conference presentations
- Proprietary data tables covering casing, tubing, drill bits and fluids
- Exclusive World Oil maps (published three times per year)
- Daily coverage of industry news and developments\
- Industry whitepapers, webcasts, videos and supplements.